Thursday, June 26, 2014

Last Week in Bologna

I can't really believe that these five weeks are coming to an end. The time passed slowly in some ways--but in others, it seems like I just arrived! These past five weeks have been so rich in so many ways. I was telling my roommate Meagan that I think we packed in just about everything we could in these last few weeks. 3 countries, classes, an EFL course, countless meals, and so many memories that I'll take back with me.

I remember thinking about this trip several months ago and wondering if I was really up to it. So much fast paced change, new environments, new people! And being on the other side of it, I can safely say that I'm so glad I did it. I'm proud of myself for taking on this new experience and building new relationships and learning about new cultures. It's such a gift. It's going to be strange to enter back into my stressful-Jenna world back in the States. But the biggest thing I'm hoping to take back is the commitment to do things for me- not just for others or out of obligation. Life can get so hectic and it's easy to feel bogged down into the schedule of chaos and stress. But here in Italy, I've been able to learn new things, explore new territory, and also relax and laugh. There's a beautiful rhythm of life that I hope I don't forget. Maybe coffee isn't for a speedy burst of energy in a plastic to-go cup. Maybe it's for sitting down, enjoying conversation, and soaking up every moment. As cheesy as it sounds, my short time in Italy has been a much needed rest for my soul and body.

I've also loved meeting others from different parts of the world. It reminds you that America isn't the ONLY country around (surprise!). It's been so fun to compare accents with my Australian friends at the dinner table or discuss a new idea with a participant in the EFL course from Pakistan. Italy is such a hub for travelers from all over the world-- and it's been wonderful to glimpse a bit of that.

I've also learned that I'm a tough traveler! My direction skills are still pretty bad but I've learned to be patient and flexible even through challenging times. I never expected to deal with allergy problems here but I've worked through everything on my own and stayed relatively sane through the process. I trust myself a bit more after the trip and I think that's good.

It's amazing that you really can be sad for people to leave after knowing them for only a short while. Our student life assistant Mary Jane left today and we all met at the reception area early this morning to say goodbye to her. She has lived here for a whole year and worked for the program. She's so smart and kind and it was sad to see her go! She was the first person to greet me and said "I'm stronger than I look!" when I questioned her decision to carry my heavy suitcase. Every day she's asked us what our "high moment" and "low moment" was. I won't forget her love for questions and REO Speedwagon-- and her ability to give great advice at a moment's notice. She's headed to the London School of Economics to work on her Masters. I know she will be great!



This is our English as a Foreign Language teaching team. Such a good group-- all of the girls brought creative ideas and hard work. Our class attendance really dwindled by the end of the 5 weeks (combination of summer schedule and culture differences) but we were still able to hand out certificates and celebrate with gelato this week. Great experience! 

This is our villa that we stayed at in the Italian Alps this weekend. Really beautiful place. Ken and Kali (Americans) hosted us for the weekend. They have a beautiful home. 


The hydrangeas grow wildly in the Alps! 

A group of my friends (USA, UK and Australia represented!) visiting San Luca, a church at the top of a hill in Bologna. 

This is Piazza Maggiore, the largest piazza in Bologna. They were setting up the cinema-- a silent film with a live orchestra. So beautiful. 

The Bologna train station-- Took this picture to remember Bologna as my wonderful home base in Italy! 


On Sunday, I'll take an early morning train from Bologna to Milan and then from Milan to Paris and then Paris to Tours, where my sweet friend Lizzie and her family will pick me up. I'm so excited to spend a week with them before returning home. I'll update when I can! 

Ciao and thanks for reading,

love,

Jenna 

No comments:

Post a Comment