Monday, June 30, 2014

Bonjour from Saumur, France!

Bonjour! I have safely arrived in Saumur. I think that yesterday was probably the most surreal day of my life. Traveling across Europe from one country to another for ten + hours on my own! The day started at about 4 a.m. when I took my taxi from my campus in Bologna to the train station. I boarded my train which left at 4:32. The train was packed and it was a struggle to get my huge suitcase up the stairs-- it sat awkwardly in the aisle because it really wouldn't fit in the luggage area! I slept most of the way and my train arrived in Milan at about 8 a.m. I was able to easily figure out the Metro system and take a subway to another station in Milan to connect to my next train. It was so strange to be on my own looking for directions but it really wasn't too stressful. I did drag that suitcase up and down several flights of Metro stairs (but thankfully many nice people saw a gal in need and helped me carry it). :)

In Milan, I connected to my longest train which took me all the way to Paris. Thankfully there was a luggage shelf right next to my assigned seat that fit my suitcase perfectly. I ended up sitting next to an 18 year old girl who was half French and half Italian. Her mother kissed her goodbye on the train and sent her off to see her Dad in Paris. Her English was very good and I spent a good bit of the train ride talking to her about American culture, differences in education, and even international politics. She was so smart and fun to talk to. Of course I would end up next to her! She even called her Dad in the middle of the ride to ask him the best way for me to change train stations in Paris. So sweet. It was so surreal to watch her speak in French about her American friend who needed directions. The most surreal day of my life!! The train also made me motion sick. That was the downside. I was facing the opposite direction of the way we were traveling which made me quite dizzy. I probably looked awkward but I decided to turn all the way around and face the back of my seat so that I wouldn't feel dizzy. Finally, seven hours later, we landed in a rainy afternoon in Paris. The train station was huge and busy and this was probably the hardest part of my trip. Had to figure out the metro to get to Montparnasse, a different train station. But I figured it out and managed to get my bag there too. Always a triumph…

I was relieved to see my train number next to "TOURS" on the Departure sign. I waited there to find the platform number and then boarded my third and last train. This one was only about 45 minutes but I somehow fell asleep. I looked out of the window once I woke up and saw my friend Lizzie across the station. So amazing to see such a familiar face!

Her family met me there and immediately took my bag. They are some of the kindest people I know and I'm so grateful for them inviting me here to stay. We had a wonderful dinner (I was so hungry) in Tours and then drove for about an hour to their rented home in Saumur. The home is absolutely gorgeous. It's called "La Maison Blanche" and everything is in white-- EVERY single thing! It's amazing. Her extended family is staying here for a month on vacation. They've had several family and friend visitors and I think they enjoy hosting people here. They've already taken such good care of me. Lizzie and I are sleeping in the very upstairs attic room of the house. But it is still unlike anywhere I've stayed… Beautiful queen size bed and so rustic.

I slept like a baby-- ten straight hours and I don't think I moved once! So good to get rested with a familiar family.

Today is pretty relaxed but tomorrow we head to Normandy (the five of us-- Lizzie, her parents, her brother Edward and me) to stay there for two nights and then back to Saumur. I'll be here until Saturday when I'll head to Paris before coming home.

So grateful for every part of this amazing summer experience,

Jenna

No comments:

Post a Comment