Thursday, May 29, 2014

Class Begins

Hello everybody! Sorry for the delay on posting. I've gotten busier than I thought I would adjusting into the new schedule! They have kept us pretty active here.

This is the only picture I have from the last few days-- I will do better about asking for someone to take my picture! But it's a special one because these things are so darn good. And the gelato from the kiosk on campus is probably the best thing I've ever tasted. :)

We had our first class on Monday. It was awesome-- there are only four of us in the class. Rhodes has small classes but never that small! We have one main classroom that we use that is right downstairs and across the way from my dorm room. So very convenient. I'm really excited about the material. We're going to be learning mostly about the 1990s conflict in Bosnia but also about immigration in Italy and Bologna. We learned yesterday that Italy is one of the two main gates to Europe for immigrants; and Bologna has about 15% immigrants.

My professor is very serious but engaged and seems to care a lot about the class. The four of us are also responsible for teaching ESL to Immigrants on Monday and Tuesday nights. We split up into pairs to alternate who would be "team captains" for each class. We had our first class on Tuesday and it was so fun to be a part of. There were people there from all over the world. One 35 year old, Christian, is from Italy but wants to learn English so that he can excel in his film career (and know American movies better). Another woman is in her 60s and from Ukraine and wants to know English to keep her mind young. It's amazing how much we take our language for granted-- it's an important one to know! There are also some sweet teenage girls in the class. (I will have more pictures of this class later on--didn't want to freak them out on the first day!)

This class will take a lot of preparation. But such a cool experience. So many different cultures and people who mainly speak Italian but want to know English. It's strange being the only American! There  really aren't many American tourists in Bologna-- we don't see any on the streets.

We've been able to walk to everything in town which is really nice-- something we don't always have in the U.S. The city streets are vibrant with people walking and riding their bike.

Still adjusting to the schedule and trying to find time to keep up with my journal/blog and have time to read for class. The group is fun but it is kind of hard being the only one from my school as most of them are from Spring Hill College and know each other well. But I think with time we'll get to know each other!

On next Wednesday, we leave for our 10 day trip to Bosnia and Croatia. We're staying with different people that Dr. Waller knows there to learn more about the conflict there. I've also heard it's very beautiful!

The weather has been very mild but warm at times. Mostly in 70-80s. Not summer heat like I'm used to.

Hope you are all doing well!

Ciao!

Jenna


1 comment:

  1. Hey, Jenna loved reading your blog, thanks for doing that. Granny-mom

    ReplyDelete